North Korea seeks joint probe with US on Sony hack attack.
North Korea has offered to hold a joint inquiry with the United States into a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures, strongly denying US claims that it is behind it.
The North’s foreign ministry accused the US government of “spreading groundless allegations” and said a probe would refute the allegations.
The attack and subsequent threats against cinemas led Sony to cancel the release of The Interview, a satire.
It includes the fictional assassination of North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un.
The film had been due to open on Christmas Day.
But Sony said it was considering releasing it “on a different platform”.
The FBI said on Friday that the Pyongyang government was responsible.
But on Saturday, the North Korean foreign ministry said: “As the United States is spreading groundless allegations and slandering us, we propose a joint investigation with it into this incident.”
“Without resorting to such tortures as were used by the US CIA, we have means to prove that this incident has nothing to do with us.”
On Friday US President Barack Obama criticised the cancellation, saying he wished Sony executives had spoken to him before cancelling the release.
“We cannot have a society in which some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship,” he said, vowing to “respond” to the cyber-attack in a “manner that we choose”.
‘Not given in’
Responding to the US president’s comments, Sony Pictures chief executive and chairman Michael Lynton said the studio had not made an error in cancelling the release.
“We have not given in, we have persevered,” he told CNN.
A Sony statement said the decision had been based on “the majority of the nation’s theatre owners choosing not to screen the film”.
“Without theatres, we could not release it in the theatres on Christmas Day. We had no choice,” the statement added.
“It is still our hope that anyone who wants to see this movie will get the opportunity to do so.”
The Interview saga.
22 November: Sony computer systems hacked, exposing embarrassing emails and personal details about stars.
7 December: North Korea denies accusations that it is behind the cyber-attack, but praises it as a “righteous deed”.
16 December: “Guardians of Peace” hacker group threatens 9/11-type attack on cinemas showing film; New York premiere cancelled.
17 December: Leading US cinema groups say they will not screen film; Sony cancels Christmas-day release.
19 December: FBI concludes North Korea orchestrated hack; President Obama calls Sony cancellation “a mistake”.
Script details, salary data and private email correspondence were leaked in the wake of November’s huge cyber-attack.
Hackers then issued a warning referring to the 11 September 2001 terror attacks, saying “the world will be full of fear” if The Interview was screened.
The movie features James Franco and Seth Rogen as two journalists who are granted an audience with Mr Kim.
The CIA then enlists the pair to assassinate him.
The film’s cancelled release drew criticism in Hollywood, with some calling it an attack on the freedom of expression.
Actor George Clooney told the trade website Deadline on Thursday the film should be released online, saying Hollywood should not be threatened by North Korea. Enjoy!!!
Why does this feel like another, done on purpose scheme? How long would it take N.Korea to download 100 tera bytes of data on their 300 baud cradle modems? They just now received the first 100M, and still connected with nobody noticing.
Who here can say “inside job”.
Unfortunately, as with all these atrocities, it will fade into the background of new false flags appearing, the PTB are counting on the complicity of the sheeple. The next wave of attacks will be upon their own citizens, the ones called truthers, conspiracy theorists, domestic terrorist and constitutionalists. It has already begun. Be AWARE and be PREPARED, FEAR is not an option. Be safe everyone…